Welcome to the ASOSU Current Projects & Initiatives Page!

This page is currently under construction to ensure we upload the most current information. If you have questions please email Halli Barrios at asosu.chiefofstaff@oregonstate.edu. We are working quickly to upload this page. 

Hello and welcome! With so many positions at ASOSU, it can be difficult to know what every person is up to. To help facilitate this, we have created this page so that you, the students, are aware of what your student government is up to! If you have questions, please feel free to reach out to the respective person. We are really proud of our staff and all of the things they are working on so we hope you find enjoy this page as much as we do!

Thank you,

Your 2019-2020 Student Government 

Executive Branch 2019-2020

Executive Branch 

President and Vice President: Rachel Josephson and Kylie Boenisch 
  • Rachel is currently serving on the CIO taskforce to ensure student feedback and perspective around the envision of how IT works at OSU. 
  • Rachel also serves on the Public Safety Advisory Committee. As OSU begins to form it's own police force, Rachel is assisting in the hiring of a new Chief of Police at OSU
  • We are investigating registration holds in regards to debt and money owed by students. The long term goal is to create permanent change that removes the financial hold on students in regard to their registration. 
  • Staying busy, Kylie continually supports Senate and their committees. This coming week, 2-3 new pieces of legislation will be written in benefits of assisting the student body 
  • Kylie has identified a need for change to the Building Fee. It is currently confusing and inaccurate, leading students to be unaware of what the building fee goes to. With the AABC, the hope is create a new name that provides transparency to students. 
  • As their time comes to an end, Rachel and Kylie are working on their transition with the current Pres and VP Elect, Isabel and Metzin so that they can start their administration in June 
Chief of Staff: Halli Barrios 
  • In direct collaboration with the Director of Diversity Initiatives, we are currently making a Liaison Council that will help increase the feedback, transparency, and collaboration between ASOSU and departments they typically do not work with. The hope is to cast a wider net and understand more of the problems students are facing so that the student government can overall serve more efficiently. 
  • Most of the time, I am the first person that helps with the Executive Branch. The projects that you see they are working on means that logistics and behind the scenes planning needs to occur. This takes a good amount of time, but I am happy to always support and assist the Exec Branch as needed! 
  • Due to remote service, we wanted a new way to connect with students. Thus, an ASOSU Podcast was created. From different topics like resources, cultural cooking and more, we are happy to have it up and running. Shout out to Safi, Hannah, and Ammara for working on this with me!
  • The Student Fee Canvas Page was created for students to be aware of the services available to them during remote learning. On the page, each student fee services is listed and continually updated! If you have questions, there is easy ways to get in touch with us, so check it out. 
  • The ASOSU website needs continual upgrades. Because remote learning has changed how we engage with students, we want to find new ways for students ot learn more. Example, this very website! The idea was so that students could see what their student government was up to and maybe even join as a volunteer. 
Director of Diversity Programs: Trenton Joiner
  • As chair of the Student Advisory Board, we are working on transition documents to ensure the next team is ready for the year ahead of them. I oversee the body at this time to make recommendations to ASOSU as a whole on how it can function best and serve the student population. 
  • In winter term, we identified a new council, The Inclusion Council. First of it's kind, we collaborate with Office of Institutional Diversity to increase representation of various underrepresented groups within ASOSU. 
  • ASOSU Liaison council was created with the Halli, Chief of Staff, towards the end of Winter Term. We identified a need to get more voices at the table and expand the reach of ASOSU. Those in the council were identified as entities that traditionally did not have a relationship wIth ASOSU. We hope to create more transparency, collaboration, and feedback between departments and ASOSU as a whole. 
  • Lastly, I am meeting with major stakeholders to launch an Accessibility campaign. The campaign is to increase awareness of needs for accessibility accommodations for students. These may include language barriers as well as physical and neurological disabilities.  
Director of Government Relations: Hannah Kutten 
  • Voter Registration/"Beavs VOTE! Campaign" + Census tie-in with CEL: An ongoing initiative leading up to the April 28 deadline to register to vote in the May 19 election. Voter registration/GOTV efforts using TurboVote, focused especially on students. Census work is being organized primarily by Community Engagement and Leadership. 
  • Promoting assistance/resources to get through COVID-19, ongoing: Seeking to get some basic information out ASAP; may be more to add moving forward. Specifically we have been helping to raise awareness of assistance resources like SNAP, OSU's COVID-19 updates, the HSRC, etc.
  • Reporting amnesty for drug/alcohol violations of the Code of Conduct: resolution in the ASOSU Congress, related advocacy. A resolution is planned to be introduced in time for consideration by the current ASOSU Congress (at least 2-3 weeks prior to the June 1.) This is addressing the possible disincentive of Code of Conduct repercussions for calling for medical assistance relating to drug or alcohol overdoses.
  • Menstrual products in campus restrooms: resolution in the ASOSU Congress, related advocacy. Resolution is planned to be introduced in time for consideration by the current ASOSU Congress (at least 2-3 weeks prior to the June 1.) A resolution is to be established following ASOSU's official stance on the issue of free menstrual products in campus restrooms, following advocacy by Julian Chu and others.
  • Student Legal Services promotion/awareness: Seeking to get blurb out in an all-campus email ASAP; This is to help raise awareness of Student Legal Services as a resource for students facing landlord/tenant disputes and other legal concerns, especially in light of COVID-19.
  • Instagram Live Presentation: Scheduling being coordinated with other staff.
  • Ongoing promotion of the CARES Act & financial aid advocacy: We have been connecting students with accurate CARES Act information, and advocating for undocumented students and others who are not eligible.
Director of Public Relations and Marketing: Roman Cohen
  • Be on the look out for future information...
Coordinator of Web Development and Social Outreach: Sierra Joyner
  • Updating social media with the latest information throughout the term. 
  • Working on a monthly newsletter with updates from ASOSU, TBD.
Coordinator of Government Relations: Dylan Perfect
  • Be on the look out for future information...
Coordinator of Environmental Affairs: Coral Avery 
  • Intervening the Legacy of Violence Towards Indigenous Womxn and Lands: Collaboration between ASOSU and the Native American Longhouse Eena Haws. Providing open access information including a 20-30min short documentary about the Unistoten camp, legislative decisions regarding the DAPL, state ban on pipeline protests, awareness for MMIW campaign, and state legislation in Oregon. After the documentary panelist speakers Luhui Whitebear and Allison Davis-White Eyes will discuss their work and experience in these areas and participant questions will be discussed. Happened on April 24th, 2020. 
  • Environmental Council: Week 3 and Week 7 of Spring term 2020, Environmental Council is a forum for students representing different organizations and departments at OSU and within the community to collaborate on environmental issues and follow up on projects to make campus more sustainable.
  • Ecosia Project: Ongoing 2020-2021, Switching default browsers across campus to Ecosia. 
  • Sustainable Menstrual Products, Spring 2020: Establishing a donation stream of sustainable menstrual products at the HSRC. Educational materials will be provided including how to use and the products, health, environmental, and social benefits. We will also address the stigma of womxn of color and trans, non-binary, and non-conforming folks who menstruate. We are hoping to provide a variety of products, not only menstrual cups, as they do not work for every body type.
  • #DIYwalkthru, Spring 2020: Creating a video catalog and photo gallery of DIYs to be posted to the Campus Recycling website to meet student needs during the pandemic. This campaign will connect departments, clubs, and orgs. across Beaver Nation and bring attention to additional resources. Each tutorial should include common household items and should be something that can be done in a reasonable amount of time. These can include things like DIY oat milk, arts and crafts, gardening hacks, or repair tutorials.
  • Student Care Kits, TBD: Collaboration with Womxn Affairs: Students will be given materials with handout directions and resources to make their own household cleaning products, hygeine products, and menstrual products.
  • Support Group for Student Activists, TBD: Creating a support group for student activists to share resources including mental health support, tools to balance work/school/activist lives, and be in community. Currently working on a survey to assess student needs.
Coordinator of Wellness Affairs: Ammara Molvi
  • Healing Politics Book Club, May-June: The event has transformed into a book club where we'll be reading his new book and discussing it. It will conclude with a Q&A/Webinar with him on June 1st. Books are currently being delivered.
  • Student Fee Funded Units Canvas Page, Ongoing: Working with Safi and Halli on our Canvas page for student fee funded resources during COVID-19.
  • Formation of OSU Wellness Council, TBD: Working on starting to form a wellness council across all OSU clubs, orgs, boards, initiatives etc. to have council containing a point person from each to increase collaboration and know what others are working on to support them.
  • ASOSU Podcast, Ongoing: Safi, Halli, Hannah and I are working on creating an ASOSU podcast where we will be talking about student resources, current events, and fun topics.
Coordinator of Graduate & Corvallis Affairs: N/A
Coordinator of Veteran Affairs: Rae Briceno
  • ROTC Priority Registration, Ongoing: A resolution was passed by ASOSU to give priority registration to ROTC members but no follow through was ever made. ROTC still do not receive priority registration. We are currently working on enforcing this resolution. 
  • Military-Connected Women's Group, Every Thursday from 5pm to 6pm: Women veterans, dependents, and ROTC members gather to connect, communicate, and support each other.
Coordinator of Multicultural Affairs: Ebado Abdi
  • Be on the lookout for future information...
Coordinator of International Affairs: Kolade Salaudeen
  • Instagram Live Project: Wellness check in with students. Informational session about resources and changes on campus.
  • Instagram Story W/ Audrey Lookner (SAAC), TBD: Informational session aimed at breaking the barrier between student athletes and non athletes. The aim of the sessions is to create understanding and familiarity, date is undecided. 
  • Financial Assistance for international students, TBD: Still in the planning stages. The purpose of this is to get International Alumni's to become acquainted with current international students and hopefully we can gather donations to help out some students.
Coordinator of Queer Affairs: Julian Chu
  • Be on the look out for future information...
Coordinator of Womxn Affairs: Caitlin Carew
  • Intervening the Legacy of Violence towards Indigenous Womxn and Lands: Collaboration between ASOSU and the Native American Longhouse Eena Haws. Providing open access information including a 20-30min short documentary about the Unistoten camp, legislative decisions regarding the DAPL, state ban on pipeline protests, awareness for MMIW campaign, and state legislation in Oregon. After the documentary panelist speakers Luhui Whitebear and Allison Davis-White Eyes will discuss their work and experience in these areas and participant questions will be discussed. Happened on April 24th, 2020. 
  • Student Care Kits,TBD: Students will be given materials with handout directions and resources to make their own household cleaning products, hygeine products, and menstrual products.
  • Menstrual products in campus restrooms: resolution in the ASOSU Congress, related advocacy. Resolution is planned to be introduced in time for consideration by the current ASOSU Congress (at least 2-3 weeks prior to the June 1.) A resolution is to be established following ASOSU's official stance on the issue of free menstrual products in campus restrooms, following advocacy by Julian Chu and others.
  • Femmes and Fun Facts, TBD: A trivia night through Jackbox games where folks can log on and play some informational trivia.

ASOSU Senate

Senate 

  • Senate is working on wrapping up this year’s session through a few pieces of legislation, inlcluding bills on compensation for future senators, and a resolution regarding menstrual products on campus.
  • The Outreach Committee just held their last Town Hall, talking about how ASOSU can better support graduate students! Reach out to Nikolay Galtsev at galtsevn@oregonstate.edu for information about what was discussed!
  •  The Student Government Committee is evaluating the Constitution, to provide edits for next year’s Congress.
  • The Ethics Committee is in the process of editing and re-writing the statutes!

Want more information? Reach out to our VP, Kylie Boenisch, our or VP-Elect, Metzin Rodriguez Cardoso at asosu.vp-elect@oregonstate.edu

ASOSU House

House

  • Official leadership is being passed to our new Speaker of the House, Chase Pettibone, on June 1st! 
  • House, along with Senate, is reviewing multiple pieces of legislation including Menstrual products on campus and compensation for future Senators. 
  • Last House meeting was Wednesday, May 27th! Reach out to Ian Walker about any details you may have missed! 

Student Fee Committee

Student fee committee 

Student Fee Committee Chair 2020-2021: David Min Seo Park
Student Fee Committee Chair 2019-2020: Safi Ahmad
  • With new changes to the OSU campus, we wanted the Student Fees to reflect this. Thus a Process Improvement Taskforce was created to help in identifying the changes in the committee to lead to best practices. Conversations include things like the reduction in incidental fees, contingency funds, and interest distribution policies. 
  • Throughout the term, we have focused on simplifying the language used in ASOSU Statues in regards to student fees. 
  • We have a change in Student Fee bylaws. We are getting them passed through House and Senate so that they can take change soon!
  • As Student Fee Committee Chair, I continually attend University Budget Committee meetings to ensure student feedback is present. Tuition rates are discussed and determined through this process. 
  • In collaboration with Halli, Ammara, and Hannah we have created the very first ASOSU podcast! Tune in to listen to how it is to navigate the student identity during the covid-19 pandemic. 
  • I had the initial to create the student Fee Canvas page before Spring Term. With help from Ammara and Halli, I am happy to have it up and running. At the site, each student can learn more about how each student fee funded unit is adjusting to remote learning and providing remote services. It is important for students to be in the know about what they can access through their fees, whether on campus or remote. 
 

 

ASOSU Presents: DAM, What Now?

Get more information about the podcast and watch all episodes by clicking here!

PODCAST

DAM, What Now? is a podcast by ASOSU to connect and have with Oregon State University students during this unsettling time.

 

RECORDING

Want to see the recording of the podcast? Watch the video here!

Questions? Want to get involved?

Please feel free to reach out to Halli Barrios at asosu.chiefofstaff@oregonstate.edu or submit a Volunteer Submission here.