What is BeaverBuddies?
Beaver Buddies is our night time walking program aimed to help you get around campus safer! Our boundaries for this service are limited to the OSU campus.
ASOSU SafeRide's Beaver Buddies is an inclusive, student-fee funded service dedicated to providing OSU students alternative safer walks around campus.
What to know about Beaver Buddies:
- SafeRide staff will work in pairs to complete walking requests.
- OSU Students can request a Beaver Buddy pair via our SafeRide app- the same app that you use to request rides! You can also call (541) 737-5000 to request a walk.
- Beaver Buddies hours of operations are every day from 5PM to 8:30PM. Our vehicle driving service will then pick up at 8:30.
- Operations are limited to the OSU campus.
- SafeRide staff, the Beaver Buddy pair, will be wearing safety vests and carrying a navigation iPad, first aid kit, radio, and umbrella.
- Goals for our program:
- Assist in SafeRides overall sustainability goals in reducing our program's carbon footprint.
- Reduce the overall initial wait time for SafeRide vans before our service begins.
- Contribute to OSU campus safety.
Beaver Buddies is our evening operational service designed to escort you around campus to your safe destination. For any questions, please contact [email protected].
ASOSU SafeRide Accessibility Statement:
SafeRide is committed to maintaining and promoting accessibility within our program. SafeRide operates a wheelchair accessible minivan. This vehicle operates every evening when the driving program is in service and can be requested via the SafeRide app or by calling 541-737-5000.
ASOSU SafeRide Diversity & History statement:
A common theme that connects SafeRide’s Core Values is Diversity & Inclusion. SafeRide is committed to maintaining and promoting diversity within our program. Diversity and Inclusion are not boxes to be checked, in this way SafeRide seeks to continually improve our operations in order to serve students from all backgrounds. SafeRide is dedicated to consistently improving our work environment to create a culture where all students feel welcomed, safe, and challenge one another to grow in their understanding of a diverse world. SafeRide recognizes that diversity in identities, backgrounds, and points of view helps our program grow.
ASOSU SafeRide was established in 1988 as a sexual assault prevention service. It was started by women for women, meaning that drivers and riders had to identify as women. Around 2003-2004, ASOSU Student Government voted to open up the service for all OSU students regardless of how they identify. That also resulted in staffing being open to any student.
Service was facilitated by riders calling into the phone dispatch line to request a ride and the dispatcher radioing to assign the rides.
In Fall 2018, ASOSU SafeRide dedicated unused funding to purchase a new wheelchair accessible vehicle through OSU Motor Pool to better serve our community. The van was implemented in November 2018 and resulted in roughly a 300% increase in accessible rides.